Monday, November 5, 2012

Original Anti-Diet: How Do I Cook Thee? Let Me Count The Ways.



One of my favorite food writers, Mark Bittman, regularly offers 16 (or more) ways to fix one great ingredient in its season, like pears, or corn. I rip out the recipe page and tape it to my kitchen cabinet until I've tried at least 3 of his ways and discovered 2 of my own. Bittman’s improvisational approach to cooking allures me, invites me to imagine and savor in my mind. I‘m not a careful measurer, and frequently add or substitute this or that even when trying a recipe for the first time. This keeps me attentive to the dish as I prepare it. 

I don’t want to cook on autopilot. I bypass the overly cerebral and scientific cooking shows. Perfection chills me. Give me Mike Colameco at his most visceral. Give me Lidia Bastianich on a messy day. Preparing food should be a pleasurable, playful activity that centers you in the moment, just as eating should be.

The Original Anti-Diet

No comments:

Post a Comment